Social Security Disability

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is supported by a worker’s payments through the FICA payroll tax. However, SSD benefits extend beyond the worker to his or her surviving spouse or dependent children. In addition, a disabled adult child may receive Social Security Disability benefits based on a parents contributions to SSDI through FICA taxes.

Social Security Disability programs, often referred to as Title II Benefits, include:

  • Disability Insurance Benefits (DIB):these benefits are paid to an individual who is no longer able to work as a result of a medical condition expected to last at least one year or to end in death. DIB is based on the individual’s personal work history.
  • Disabled Widow’s/Widower’s Benefits (DWB):Also known as Retirement Survivors Disability Insurance (RSDI), Disabled Widow’s/Widower’s Benefits are based on a deceased spouse’s work history. DWB is provided to a surviving spouse, aged 50-60, who becomes disabled before the working spouse’s death or within seven years of the death. DWB may also be provided to a divorced surviving ex-spouse, within certain qualifying guidelines.
  • Surviving Child’s Insurance Benefits (SCIB):Through SCIB, financial assistance is given to surviving children of a deceased parent whose work history and tax payments would have made him or her eligible for SSD benefits. SCIB is provided to dependent children under the age of 18 (or 18 or older but a full-time student in grade 12 or below).
  • Disabled Adult Child Benefits (DAC):DAC Benefits are also referred to as Childhood Disability Benefits (CDB). Disabled Adult Child benefits are provided based on a parent’s work history to unmarried adults aged 18 or over who have a disability that began before the age of 22.

For information about SSDI and survivor benefits, call an experienced DC Social Security lawyer, Maryland Social Security lawyer at (202) 558-4402 today. An experienced disability attorney will help you determine for which disability benefits and programs you qualify, and will handle your case with a commitment to earning you the benefits you need.